Technical Standards Explorer: Developing Level
Working through this badge provides a basic introduction to and appreciation of technical standards, which are integral to the development and production of products in our modern econmy. Instructional content for this badge is located here: http://guides.lib.purdue.edu/NIST_standards. This badge provides a place for the badge earner to demonstrate their mastery of the content through a document that analyzes two standards on a variety of criteria. This badge shows an developing mastery of understanding and utilizing technical standards. We also provide a Technical Standards Integrator: Proficient Level badge that certifies a higher level of expertise working with technical standards.
Searching for Standards
Locate and access two standards related to an everyday object, like a USB drive, a credit card, or a screwdriver.
For this challenge submit a search log for the standards you located.
Your log should include a list of the search terms you used, what database/search engine(s), and how you revised your search to narrow your results. You should also include a brief summary of how you selected the standards you used for your final project from your search results.
Learning OutcomesEfficiently and effectively locate relevant standards for a particular problem/project.
Using the two standards from your first challenge, demonstrate your understanding of technical standards by composing and uploading a document that includes the following information about each standard:
- Complete and correct citations for the standard
- Correct classification of the standard as design, performance, and/or testing
- Brief summary of the information in the standard relevant to the chosen object (i.e., how would you apply the standard to the manufacturing or use of the object)
- Proper identification of the SDO (Standards Developing Organization) who created the standard
- Brief background information on the SDO that describes the purpose of the SDO and its importance to the industry that created the object you chose