BNC 150 - Fume Hood Safety Training
Safety policies and procedures for using chemicals in fume hoods. BNC 150 is required before you may use chemical fume hoods in any laboratory or cleanroom in the Birck Nanotechnology Center. The final challenge is an in person meeting where you will have the opportunity to ask questions and demonstrate your understanding of PPE requirement.
BNC 105 - Birck Orientation
An orientation class for all new users working at the Birck Nanotechnology Center. Click the "Get started" button above to begin.View this badge
Challenge Type: Task and E-Signature
Complete the Purdue University Laboratory Fundamentals (LSF) online training parts 1-3, take the fundamentals exam, and pass with a minimum of 80%.
Once you've received your Certificate of Completion, click the "Begin this Challenge!" button to certify that you have done so.
IMPORTANT: You will later need to upload the Certificate of Completion to Passport as part of Challenge #4: Upload of this badge.
- Presentation & CHP
Challenge Type: Comprehension Check
- Pass the 40 question multiple choice quiz on content from the BNC 150 slides and the Chemical Hygeine Plan with an 80% or better. Feel free to refer to these during the quiz, if needed.
- Choose the most correct answer to each question.
- The quiz may be retaken once, if needed.
- If you fail to obtain an 80% after a second attempt on the quiz, your submission must be manually reset. Email BNC Safety Manager Steve Jurss (email@example.com) with the subject line "BNC 150 Quiz Reset" to setup a meeting to discuss any points of confusion and reset your submission.
150 - Upload
Challenge Type: Task and Upload
Upload two documents to this challenge:
- Complete, sign, and upload the Lab-Specific Training Certification form on page 87 of the Chemical Hygeine Plan.
- Upload the Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Certificate of Completion from Challenge #1: LSF Completion of this badge.
You will complete this challenge when these submitted documents have been reviewed and approved by BNC staff.
150 - Meeting
Challenge Type: Open Text and In-Person
Once your submission to Challenge #4: 150 - Upload has been approved, schedule a time slot at an open BNC 150 session (Thursdays at 9:30 AM). Here you will be introduced to BNC Engineering Manager Ron Reger and BNC Safety Manager Steve Jurss, have a chance to ask any questions or dicuss any concerns you may have, and be asked to demonstrate your understanding of proper hood PPE for solvent and acid hoods.
After you have earned all prerequisite badges and completed all previous challenges for this badge, begin this challenge to see scheduling instructions.