LDT Online: Piktochart
Alicia Marie King earned this badge on Jun 20, 2017
Piktochart is a tool that allows you to create infographics easily. Infographics are visual representations (e.g., diagram, chart) of data or information.
Piktochart as a tool
Reflect on the various ways that Piktochart could be used in the educational, training, or personal learning environments. From your selected perspective, describe two different examples where Piktochart could be integrated and used. In both cases, explain why Piktochart could positively impact learning.
Use the open text area to submit your reflective response. As a suggestion, you may want to first compose your response in a word processed document, check for all editing that needs to be completed, save your response so that you can access it later, if needed, and then copy and paste your response in the open text area for this challenge.Two ways we can use an infographic maker such as piktochart would be for for learning and teaching. Piktochart can be used by an instructor to make a visually catching way to present information in a summary format. This could be used during lessons or as reference. If in an accessible place, a student could use this as reference and save both time from the teacher and themselves with asking questions.
I also believe that instructors could assign piktocharts as projects for students to complete to demonstrate understanding of a topic. This might act as a formative assessment. Let’s say that a student was given the topic of the Civil War. A student might make a quick infographic on one of the battles or beliefs of each side. This would be a more creative and hands-on experience than writing a paper or giving an oral presentation.
S Step-by-step instructions for completing this challenge
- Review these Piktochart tutorials
- Go to the Piktochart website to get started
- Complete each of the following*:
- Select ‘Start for Free’
- Sign up for a Piktochart account
- Choose a topic relevant to your field. The topic you choose should be one that can be taught well using visual aids such as graphics, photos, charts, and maps.
- *When you first log in, a pop-up banner will appear from the right. It is recommended that you select and read those guides. (If it does not pop-up, select the ‘Need help?’ button at the bottom right of the page. This ‘Need help?’ button will always remain in the bottom right corner, regardless of where you are in the process.)
- Though there are 4 formats, select “Infographic”
- Choose a free template
- Select ‘Preview’ and then ‘Create’
- Select ‘Take a Tour’- You control which steps of the infographic creation process you view at the top of the page
- Add and change text to fit your needs. Include at least one title, one subtitle, and some body text
- Add some graphics. Include at least one icon and one photo.
- Upload at least one image and add it to your infographic.
- Change the background on at least one ‘block’ of your infographic.
- Add an additional ‘block.’ Seamlessly integrate it into your infographic- match the style and add content.
- Include at least one chart. Choose a chart style that will best display the information you want to show. Be sure to include a title, data, and a legend.
- Include at least one map, adding in either sample data to show statistics for each state or country, or highlighting a single state or country as part of a larger map.
- Add a relevant video from YouTube.
- Preview your infographic and make any needed adjustment.
- Download and save your infographic.
- Publish your Piktochart infographic. Select ‘Publish Now’ to get the HTML embed code. Copy the code.
- In the ‘Link’ area below, post the link to your infographic.
Criteria for successful completion of this challenge
- Deliverables have been uploaded in the appropriate format, with all the required items described (see below), and are fully accessible by the grader.
- Piktochart infographic demonstrates professionalism in the following ways:
- Content of Piktochart infographic is nontrivial and engaging
- Design of Piktochart infographic clearly communicates concept
- Appearance of Piktochart infographic is informative, neat, and professional
Deliverables for this challenge
1 link to your Piktochart infographic. The following required items must be displayed in your Piktochart infographic:
- Text: A title, a subtitle, and body text
- Graphics: An icon and a photo
- Uploads: An image from your own computer
- Background: Change the background of at least one ‘block’
- Add an additional, fully integrated ‘block’ into the infographic. Match the style to the rest of the infographic- include whatever text, background, graphic, or tool as necessary.
- Include a chart with a title, data, and a legend
- Include a map. Add in either sample data to show statistics for each state/country or highlight a single state or country as part of a larger map.
- Video: Add a relevant video from YouTube