LDT Online: Jing
Alicia Marie King earned this badge on Jun 28, 2017
Jing is a useful tool to create screen captures and video screencasts and easily share them with others. With this tool you can take a picture/capture what is on your screen and then highlight the picture by adding text, boxes, arrows, etc. In addition, you can also create a video of what is occurring on the screen as well as include voice narration given through a microphone. The video or screen shot can be emailed or uploaded to the web, the computer, or FTP.
Jing as a tool
Reflect on the various ways that Jing could be used in the educational, training, or personal learning environments. From your selected perspective, describe two different examples where Jing could be integrated and used. In both cases, explain why Jing could positively impact learning.
Use the open text area to submit your reflective response. As a suggestion, you may want to first compose your response in a word processed document, check for all editing that needs to be completed, save your response so that you can access it later, if needed, and then copy and paste your response in the open text area for this challenge.
Another way to use jing is to explain a project or a piece of writing. One can create a quick video using jing to share thoughts or a summary and quickly send it to a teacher for review. This could be used as an alternate project assessment or check for understanding. Revision on a piece a paper would also be a great use for this tool. It is very Feedback oriented!
Step-by-step instructions for this challenge
- Review these Jing tutorials
- Complete each of the following:
- Go to TechSmith's Jing site and download a free copy of Jing
- Use Jing to capture a relevant picture, website, document page, etc. and then:
- Highlight a portion of the screen capture by drawing a box around it.
- Highlight another portion of the screen by inserting an arrow pointing to something of importance.
- Insert a text box that includes some additional comment about a portion of the screen capture.
- Save your highlighted screen capture and upload the link.
- Create a short Jing screencast video (less than 2 minutes). The video should be a demonstration of some procedure or action on your computer screen. For example, demonstrate how to navigate to a specific place on the web to find important information; demonstrate how to use a new piece of software and the steps involved to complete a specific task; or even pull up a document that needs comments and editing and record how you would make those changes to the document as you narrate your suggested changes.
- Save your highlighted screencast and insert the link in the "Link" area below.
Criteria for successful completion of this challenge
- All deliverables are uploaded as specified and are viewable by the grader.
- Both screencasts display professionalism in the following ways:
- Audio narration is clear (not fuzzy or muffled)
- Content of narration is smooth and coherent
- Actions on screen with cursor effectively highlight and illustrate narration
- Video might be reasonably expected to be of use to its intended audience
Deliverables for this challenge
- 1 link to a screenshot made and annotated with Jing, hosted on Screencast
- 1 link to a demo video on Screencast.
Email Response: https://www.screencast.com/t/4AENLatWK9aq