LDT Online: Diigo
Alicia Marie King earned this badge on Mar 4, 2018
Diigo is a social bookmarking tool which allows you to research, highlight text information, and take personal notes on web pages found on the Internet. Moreover, you can bookmark, tag, and save this information for later review or for sharing with others where they can view the annotations, as well as add their own.
Diigo (pronounced Dee’go) stands for “Digest of Internet Information, Groups and Other stuff.”
Diigo as a tool
Reflect on the various ways that Diigo could be used in the educational, training, or personal learning environments. From your selected perspective, describe two different examples where Diigo could be integrated and used. In both cases, explain why Diigo could positively impact learning.
Use the open text area to submit your reflective response. As a suggestion, you may want to first compose your response in a word processed document, check for all editing that needs to be completed, save your response so that you can access it later, if needed, and then copy and paste your response in the open text area for this challenge.Diigo is great for teachers to collect resources. Teachers can create a group for each class and curate tools and resources that will be necessary for student success. This will save time for students and teachers. Students won’t have to search the web for information they need and waste time with non relevant sources. They can instead rely on teacher approved and curated tools. Teachers won’t have to locate every year their most valuable sources. They will all be curated in one area.
A second great use is for students to use themselves. As they research a topic they can easily use the Diigo Google extension and rapidly collect resources that might be useful to them. This will eliminate the lack of taskbar space due to numerous tabs. It will also save the frustration of losing any valuable resources.
Step-by-step instructions for completing this challenge
- Review these Diigo tutorials
- Go to the Diigo website (www.diigo.com) to get started
- Complete each of the following*:
- Create a Diigo account.
- Edit your profile by filling out your user information. Add an appropriate picture.
- Create a group with an appropriate and relevant description. Set the join option to "By invitation only". Share at least two items to this group.
- Import your bookmarks from a web browser.
- You must have at least 3 web pages and 2 images tagged in your library.
- Add 3 sticky notes with relevant comments to a webpage (this must be a webpage tagged either in your library or your public group).
- Highlight at least 2 paragraphs on a webpage (this must be a webpage tagged either in your library or your public group).
- In the "Link" area, add the link to your Diigo "Public Library."
- Create screenshots of your webpage with highlighted paragraphs, webpage with sticky notes, and the webpage with the added text and arrows.
- Attach the screenshots.
* This list of tasks was adapted from the work of R. West, D. Randall (2014) and their colleagues at Brigham Young University (iptedtec.org). Permission was granted for the use of this list of tasks.
Criteria for successful completion of this challenge
Deliverables are attached below as described and are accessible by grader.
Deliverables for this challenge
- Link to your Diigo "Public Library."
- 1 screenshot of your Diigo library with at least 3 webpages and 2 images in it.
- 1 screenshot of a webpage with added Diigo highlighting visible.
- 1 screenshot of a webpage with added Diigo comments/notes visible.