LDT Online: Mindmeister
Christopher Hernandez earned this badge on Mar 11, 2019
Mindmeister allows you to brainstorm and collaboratively create mind maps. It provides a visual communication platform that allows you to visualize your thinking. The map can highlight how items/concepts are related and linked, as well as include pictures, links, audio clips, videos, etc.
Mindmeister as a tool
Reflect on the various ways that Mindmeister could be used in the educational, training, or personal learning environments. From your selected perspective, describe two different examples where Mindmeister could be integrated and used. In both cases, explain why Mindmeister could positively impact learning.
Use the open text area to submit your reflective response. As a suggestion, you may want to first compose your response in a word processed document, check for all editing that needs to be completed, save your response so that you can access it later, if needed, and then copy and paste your response in the open text area for this challenge.
MindMeister is an online freemium mind mapping tool that allows users to visualize their ideas and create presentations.
The base function of MindMeister is to allow the user to easily create mind maps that flow from one main idea or concept, out into multiple different factors that make up the main idea. MindMeister also has the ability to be used alongside project management, allowing managers to assign tasks based off of the original mind map. When thinking of MindMeister and its uses, it could be useful within both the education field and marketing field.
In regards to students, when placed in teams, projects can be mapped out into different threads and each thread can be assigned to each student in the group. This allows group projects to be visualized in the aspect of what information needs to be obtained and who will pursue that information. Teachers can use MindMeister as a tool to help students visualize subjects that stem from multiple causes. For example, a history teacher could use a mind map to show all the factors that lead to world war one.
The usefulness for marketing teams here is unlimited. A marketing manager can create a mind map for marketing budgets. The main portion of the web could be the amount they are allotted and the stems could be the different types of marketing the budget will cover (social media, print media, web, email, etc.). Teams can also use mind maps for new projects. A commercial is a perfect project for a mind map. The main idea is a commercial and this stems out into the need for actors, videographers, make-up team, wardrobe team, etc.
Being able to visualize complex ideas and concepts is key for any team.
Step-by-step instructions for completing this challenge
- Review these Mindmeister tutorials
- Go to the Mindmeister website (www.mindmeister.com) to get started
- Complete each of the following*:
- Create a main topic with at least 5 relevant points branching off of it. The main topic should be something relevant to your course theme
- Create at least one relevant connection between topics using an arrow.
- Add at least 1 relevant video to your map (e.g., a video related to your course theme)
- Add at least 1 relevant link to a website to your map
- Add at least 1 relevant image or icon to your map
- Add at least 1 relevant note to the map
- Add at least 1 task with appropriate completion, priority, and due date
- Create a presentation of your mind map in Mindmeister that includes at least 5 slides and 2 transition types. This presentation must demonstrate your completion of each of this challenge requirements explained above.
- Create a screencast of your presentation
- Insert a link to your screencast in the "Link" area below.
* This list of tasks was adapted from the work of R. West, D. Randall (2014) and their colleagues at Brigham Young University (iptedtec.org). Permission was granted for the use of this list of tasks.
Criteria for successful completion of this challenge
- Deliverables have been uploaded in the appropriate format, with all the required items described (see below), and are fully accessible by the grader.
- Screencast demonstrates professionalism in the following ways:
- Narration is clear and coherent
- Movements on screen highlight/complement narration
- Mind map (seen through Screencast) demonstrates professionalism in the following ways:
- Content of mindmap is nontrivial
- Design of mindmap helps clearly communicate concepts
- Appearance of mindmap is neat and professional
Deliverables for this challenge
- 1 link to a screencast of your Mindmeister presentation, which shows that you have implemented the following functionalities:
- 1 main topic with 5 relevant points
- Connection between branches with an arrow
- 1 video added
- 1 link added
- 1 image added
- 1 note added
- 1 task added
- Presentation with 5 slides and 2 transitions
NOTE: If you don't know what a screencast is or how to create one, then click on the following links. You will quickly find a variety of uses for these easy to use applications.
- What is a screencast?
- What kinds of screencast apps are available to use and how are they accessed?
To the right of my title "Creating a positive social community through inclusion" is a white check mark that is my task. I double checked; it's check marked because I labeled the task as completed. When I click it, it brings up the task information. Please let me know if I have to leave it as not completed as I can re-record the screencast.
I've also attached a screenshot as well.